All government should work like your kitchen sink’s faucet: you should be able to rely on it and not have to deal with bureaucracy to make it work. I spent my second year in office seeking to fix government so it works seamlessly to meet your needs and serve our community and city. In the past year my office and I:
- Made government more transparent with seven laws opening up the city’s legislation, law, and elections.
- Brought additional Pre-K seats to the East Side and Roosevelt Island, as we expanded to 60,000 seats citywide.
- Invested $5 million in STEM education in our local public schools and expanded free lunch citywide.
- Secured $45 million from the city and private institutions to revitalize the East River Esplanade.
- Moved the ramp to 92nd Street while continuing to fight the Marine Transfer Station.
- Focused on changes to the management of the city to improve quality of life.
Thank you for your partnership in making all of our shared goals a reality. We’ve proven over the past two years that together we can accomplish greatness. You can read more from my midterm report at BenKallos.com/newsletters/midterm
Council Member, District 5